Tuesday, October 20, 2009
We are celebrating our first birthday with chocolate and balloons and lots of laughter. In our first year we have delivered 306 precious new babies and met so many wonderful families. We hope this is the first of many happy birthdays to come.
306 babies! Wow!
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Dear Dr. Worth and Dr. Mussalli,
As we spend our first night together as a family of four, we have been thinking about how lucky we were to have two such wonderful doctors looking after our little one from the outside as he was inside preparing for this big world.
Thank you for your care.
Thank you for helping to bring our little one safely to our arms. You are a wonderful, hard-working team, and your efforts have not gone unnoticed.
See you in a few weeks. Sincerely,
H, R, A, and C
Thursday, October 1, 2009
VOb by the Numbers, 10/20/08 to 10/1/09 (274 deliveries)
We believe that our minimally invasive and old fashioned approach to obstetrical care allows the vast majority of our patients an unhurried labor and a vaginal delivery. This trend is demonstrated most clearly by the following statistics: 8% c-section rate when scheduled s-sections excluded; 13% operative delivery rate (forceps), 86% version success rate, 87% vbac success rate (one patient needed a cesarean hysterectomy for severe bleeding. Thankfully both mother and baby are safe and healthy.)
Cesarean sections: 21% rate overall
• patients in labor: 8% (excludes scheduled c/s)
• scheduled*: 14% (scheduled c/s as percent of all deliveries)
Vaginal deliveries: 89% rate overall
• spontaneous: 71%
• forceps: 13%
• twins: 2 patients
• vacuum: 1 patient
• vbac**: 16 patients
• vbac success: 87%
• cesarean hysterectomy-bleeding with attempted vbac: 1 patient
• twin vbac: 1 patient
• version success: 86%
• versions: 18 patients
• routine episiotomies: 0%
• labor induction (medically necessary or elective) 16%
• deliveries by Dr. Mussalli or Dr. Worth: 93%
* scheduled cesarean sections for obstructing fibroids, prior uterine surgery, placenta previa, prior sacrum fracture, malpresentation, malpresenting twins or elective repeat.
** vbac includes 3 forcep deliveries